Tel: 671-472-6116 |  Fax: 671-477-3519
196 Cuesta San Ramon Ste B, Hagåtña, GU 96910-4334

Archdiocese of Agana

Archdiocese of Agana, Guam logo

Erected by Pope Pius X, March 1, 1911 and committed to the Order of Friars Minor Capuchin, extended to all the Marianas Islands, July 4, 1946, Wake Island, June 14, 1948.

The Diocese of Agana was established on October 14, 1965, as a suffragan of the Archdiocese of San Francisco, California. Elevated to Metropolitan Archdiocese, May 20, 1984 with suffragan Sees of the Diocese of the Caroline Marshalls and Diocese of Chalan Kanoa (subsequently added January 13, 1985). Member of the CEPAC Conference, Member of the Federation of Catholic Bishops of Conference of Oceania. Observer to NCCB-USCCB. Guam is an unincorporated Territory of the U.S.A. by an Act of U.S. Congress July 21, 1949. Legal Title: Archbishop of Agana, a Corporation Sole.

The territory of the archdiocese comprises the island of Guam.  The island of Guam, the largest and southernmost of the Marianas Islands located in the western Pacific, is 209 square miles and has an estimated population of 159,360.

Former Vicars Apostolic

Most Rev. Francisco Javier Vilá y Mateu, OFM Cap., D.D. (d. 1913)
Most Rev. Agustín Bernaus y Serra, OFM Cap., D.D. (d. 1930)
Most Rev. Joaquín Felipe Oláiz y Zabalza, OFM Cap., D.D. (d. 1945)
Most Rev. Miguel Ángel Olano y Urteaga, OFM Cap., D. D. (d. 1970)

Former Diocesan Bishops

Most Rev. Apolinaris W. Baumgartner, OFM Cap., D.D. (d. 1970)
Most. Rev. Felixberto Camacho Flores, D.D. (d. 1985)